Are you passionate about space mining and in-space manufacturing? Outward Technologies is leading the development of in-space construction and manufacturing technologies to help pave the way for humanity’s expansion into the cosmos. Join us today in a fast-paced environment as we explore the best ways of creating new supply chains derived from in-space commodities. Take control of your career in this early-stage startup and become a pioneer in the burgeoning industry of space resource utilization. Multiple positions available for passionate and qualified individuals.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Outward Technologies is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
We are seeking a Research Technician with demonstrated experience building and operating robotic prototypes and conducting laboratory experiments to study complex physical phenomena. One of the primary roles of this position will be to build, instrument, and test robotic prototypes related to concentrating solar power and melting lunar soil simulants to perform thermochemical processes including oxygen extraction, and fabrication of mechanical components through casting and additive manufacturing processes. These efforts will build upon Outward Technologies’ core competencies in conducting concentrated solar testing using small-scale solar collectors and in developing novel manufacturing and resource processing methods suited for space applications. Your time will be split with 20% dedicated to prototype assembly and instrumentation, 60% to laboratory testing and conducting experiments, and 20% to processing data, machining/finishing of test coupons, and generating reports.
• Work with engineering teams to design, develop, and build systems that meet mission objectives and top-level requirements for 3D printing on the Moon
• Hands-on prototype development and testing to evaluate performance and iterate designs to achieve mission objectives
• Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to resolve technical risks and challenges
• Prepare and deliver technical documents and reports
BS (or higher) in Engineering or other related fields
Demonstrated experience in the following:
• Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in robotics field, such as mechanical and electrical system design, troubleshooting, generating engineering drawings and sketches, and material selection
• Design, assembly, verification, testing, and operation of prototype hardware
• Automation and control of robotic and/or mechatronic systems
• CAD drafting and modeling (SOLIDWORKS experience preferred)
• Developing and documenting experimental procedures, conducting laboratory experiments, recording data, interpreting results, and generating reports of experimental findings
• Assembling mechanical hardware and wiring electrical systems from engineering drawings and schematics
• Writing and executing Python scripts
• Processing experimental data using common software packages (MATLAB, Excel, etc.)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
• Collaborative leadership style with teams of scientists and engineers
• Ability to adapt proven engineering practices and methodologies in a lean team environment
Preferred Education and Experience:
• M.S. or PhD in Engineering or other related fields
• Programming microcontrollers for robotic operations
• Operating 3D printers (FDM, SLS, stereolithography, etc.) and generating G-code
• Operating power tools and machine shop equipment including mill, lathe, cutoff saw, bandsaw, etc.
Job Type: Full-time (40 hours/week) and Part-Time (20-30 hours/week) positions available
Location: Broomfield, CO
Estimated Salary Range:
Competitive benefits package for Full-Time position (health, dental, and vision)
To apply, contact Ryan Garvey: firstname.lastname@example.org